Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Karaoke: Case the Joint

So I walked into O'Shucks tonite to see what was going on over there. The competition was fierce: all real deal, legitimate singers. Sound quality was perfect, a giant monitor 2' away on the stage provided excellent audio to the performer.

I walked in and ordered a drink: out of Jameson (arghhh) I settled for a Johnny Red (rocks). I put in the slip for my first song ('September Morn') and took a seat, wearing a smile, looking for my 'in'. There were more then a few single girls walking in and rather then keep my eyes on them, I monitored for other hunters like myself zeroing in. I saw nothing.

I already figured that my best 'in' would be at the end of a song (my own or someone elses), it is standard karaoke manners to congratulate ('nice job') the person walking off stage. I knew I could very quickly parlay this into an introduction. I got my chance as soon as I finished my first song and met a couple: Christina and 'Pushy'. They introduced me to their friend, a young lady named Nina. I had just watched her sing 'Before he Cheats' by Carrie Underwood and her skills were blatant, she toyed with the song, made it her own, embellished it. I'm talking about vibrato that was obscene. Equally as important, she was a 10, easy. Brunette, light American Indian features, super tight jeans, slim, and a purple flannel shirt cinched at the waist and unbuttoned up top with perfect cleavage that revealed itself occasionally. There is no sense in working too hard on a girl like this, either you have no chance or if you do, making steps towards it will always backfire. Just be polite, smile and see what happens.

I pulled up a chair a bit awkwardly into their group, as I now knew their names and I could tell they were regulars I wanted to continue to build our relationship. That sounds silly, I'm not talking about marrying a bunch of strangers but this is how you succeed in far away social situations. I started to feel a bit boxed out and was having trouble entering into their conversation. I especially wanted to engage Nina but could barely get a word in. No problem, relax, smile and bide your time.

The night progressed and before long she was engaging me unsolicited. Getting positive response I returned and carefully measured my responses but stayed relaxed and natural. Before long I told this girl that the bar was full of a bunch of idiots: I could see plenty of guys alone, sitting at the bar, staring into their pint while she (and others) was sitting alone and easily the best looking girl in the room. She said that she had been told that she was 'unapproachable'. I said whoever told you that is a liar, and that I didn't care even if it was the case, I don't take face value negative response to heart, I need a verbal 'no' to back off. I could actually see other males sitting alone, doing nothing, making no effort to engage females and I'm sitting here, first time, out of town, been here 45 minutes and I'm all alone with the most stunning girl in the place.

Eventually Christina and Pushy left. I swapped seats so I was sitting next to her and we talked and talked about our backgrounds. She is from Pennsylvania but has lived in Orlando for three years. She has been a professional singer in resturants, on cruise ships and is currently in a gigging band. She was an understudy for the part of Mimi in 'Rent' and got her shot at two nights in Chicago when the star lost her voice.

I asked if she planned to come back at all during the week to sing again. She told me blatantly that I should just demand that she come back on a certain night. Yes friends, that is 'positive response' as I define it. I'll be back at 9pm on Thursday and just before I left I asked if she knew 'You Don't Bring Me Flowers', the duet by Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand. I've wanted desperately to sing this with a female for ages but obviously Babs part is difficult (Neil's is notoriously easy and perfectly within my wheelhouse). I do want to sing with her, and I want to sing a romantic song such as this with her. And I want an excuse to video the performance to prove that I was able to engage such a specimen of physical beauty, worldliness and ability as a performer. She said she didn't know it. My heart sank. She asked if she should learn it before Thursday and I said yes. This should be interesting.

I had Nina video me doing 'And When I Die' but of course the fucking batteries died, even though they were charged and I had taken a total of 1 picture so far (below). I'll be picking up some alkalines today, this is getting out of hand. Worse yet, I could see her off stage trying to get the thing to work and I didn't understand what was wrong, she said she felt terrible that it didn't record and was worried that she somehow broke it. Plus when it died, the lens was extended so I had to have it in my pocket like that all night. Piece of shit batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment