Monday, September 19, 2011

Bike Rental

I had been planning for a while to rent a bike but I was unclear...why. I considered renting one for the whole week, so I always had it at my disposal. I considered renting it for a couple days (to save money) and lately I had been thinking about getting it for a specific purpose and when I'm done bringing it right back.

I had a rough plan to visit downtown and ride up there for karaoke, general intoxication and maybe a decent place for dinner. But I am so far southwest of downtown that it would be nearly a 50 mile round trip (I'd stay the night out there in a hotel and break it into two days).

Once I decided I had no reason to go downtown (karaoke had been the main influencer) I looked at other options. I already knew that Evolve Cycles in Celebration was to be the place to rent, it is about 8 miles away but the cheapest and closest. So I looked at what there is to do in Celebration...not much. Then I started looking at nearby cities. I looked into any beer related locations (breweries/brewpubs) then remembered, oh yeah, I've already dominated central Florida's (and other regions as well) beer scene.

The only nearby city I could find that was neither too close nor too far was Kissimmee. So I relegated myself to a meal being the 'event' for traveling to. I found a couple places but distance is an issue. I can hit city limits in under 5 miles, that is too short of a trip. I have ridden home from work more then a few times at 10 miles one way and its not even a challenge. Then again 20 miles one way would probably be too much when I hit the return side.

So I found this place at about 8 miles one way. Perfect. Thinking about doing this Wednesday, the bike shop opens at 10 but its going to take almost 90 minutes to get there because the trip distance is doubled; it begins with my old friend link 111 but going all the way to some kind of ticketing center 30 minutes away (but only 2 stops between!) as a half way point.

If I leave around 8am, I'll get there at 10. The 8 miles to Fat Boys should take maybe 45 minutes. If I'm early, I'll cruise around. I bought a handlebar mount for both my GPS (good for the 'crusing around' part) and also a camera mount to document this trip. I'm going to call the bike shop tomorrow to check availability and make a reservation for possibly Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment