Sunday, September 18, 2011

ride that bus

A mist, just droplets pass between openings in the canopy at the taxi stand, they spritz my face and remind me of Florida.  This turns quickly to a gushing storm, those openings give way from a mist to a barrage.  I do not avoid it, rather, I relish it.  My body is tired and sore.

As I exited the aircraft after the short 40 minute flight I walked speedily towards the baggage claim.  Surprisingly found my Lynx bus route 111 and was assured that I was on the right track.  I am typing this on that bus right now.  Only 2 other passengers accompany me.  One is a light skinned African American man wearing an Enyce shirt, far too old for the style.  Cheap silver chains dangle down his frail chest and music of some sort fills his ears, pumped in by tiny buds.  The other is more solemn, also black, arms folded.  The driver has the demeanor and face of someone that enjoys his line of work, in an environment such as this and with so few passengers.  He sipped a bottle of green iced tea as we waited to depart. 

Palm trees dot the landscape as we exit at #1B onto a highway who's name I have forgotten or perhaps never knew.  The route creator on the Lynx website said approximately 38 minutes to my end point.  I am typing on a moving bus, the sky is darkened even at 1:33pm and clouds hang heavy.  Rain expected everyday this week.  I cannot wait to eat, and rest.  I could use a drink.

Tomorrows order of business will be to get a 7 day Lynx pass and possible rent a bike, though I may leave that for Tuesday.  But that comes later, plenty of Sunday left to be enjoyed.  I feel relaxed and relieved that my air travel is done for the next span of days.  This bus, I can handle.  Quite the contrast from the stark portrait we know as the CTA.  Patterned with their trademarked Paw print the seats bear a nearly tie die color scheme.  Fitting.

The 2nd gentleman just spoke to me: he exclaimed quietly at something he saw, I turned to view it myself.  A cab wiped out on the shoulder, seems to have crushed into the shoulder's wall.  He seems to have a Jamaican accent.  West Indies or the like.  I also now notice a third passenger, quiet also in the back of the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment